Race day is approaching and it’s time to taper. Rather than throw a tantrum, embrace this time to absorb all of your hard work and dedicate your extra free time to recovery. Acknowledge that taking this time to give back to your body is just as important and equally as productive as everything else that you do...
Do the Pose of the Week every day, and do the videos whenever they best fit into your schedule this week.
Pose of the Week: Forward Fold at the Wall aka Hammy Time
Meet your new best friend for taper time and recovery: the wall. This is the best restorative prop you've got because it takes the work out of post-workout stretching, which really comes in handy when you're tired and can't be bothered to stretch. Plus, it doesn't get much easier than this to sort out your stiff hamstrings:
- Step a foot or two away from the wall, keeping your knees bent and feet about hip’s width apart.
- Fold forward and walk your hands down your legs.
- Lean your butt back into the wall; if it feels hard or like you can’t lean back, bring your feet a bit further away from the wall.
- Gently push down through your feet (rather than forcing your knees back) to deepen the stretch.
- Rest your hands on your shins or the floor.
- Drop your head and relax your neck.
- Stay for 10 deep breaths...
"Sometimes it takes years for your body and mind to learn the importance of balance and a little R&R; The sooner you can figure it out, the better athlete you'll be."
– Mel Lawrence