The Weekly Reset: 5-Minute Mental Refresh
Learning to recognize the moments when you need a mental Reset and then responding accordingly is key for optimal performance, no matter what the task at hand. While we’re quick to moan about stiff hips or hamstrings, sometimes it can take longer to register that we’re just plain frazzled in our heads.
The solution in those moments? Take a quick mental Reset by stopping what you’re doing and consciously slowing things down in your head. This will help to calm your nervous system so that you can more readily manage whatever comes at you.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes so that you won't worry about what time it is.
- Sit comfortably.
- Close your eyes begin to notice your breathing.
- Take a deep inhale… a slow exhale… continue to deepen your breathing.
- Once your breath feels more steady, take a deep inhale and pause/hold your breath for a moment as if you’re only able to hold one thought with that breath… then exhale slowly, letting it go. Again: deep inhale perhaps with a different thought… then exhale, letting it go and moving on to the next.
- Continue to create more space between each one of your thoughts as you breathe.
- When your timer goes off, breathe naturally and take a final moment to notice how you feel.
- Now choose for that feeling of ease to set the tone for the rest of your day.
For a little more guidance, follow along with our new 5-Minute Mental Reset video and use #5minreset to let us know how it goes.